San Jose Bankruptcy Attorney comments on the largest celebrity bankruptcy and divorce filings of the decade.
The Top 5 celebrity divorces of the decade ending this week include:
- Kevin Coster and Cindy Silva’s divorce cost the “Dances With Wolves” star an estimated $80 million.
- Harrison Ford’s 2004 divorce from wife Melissa Mathison cost the action film star an estimated $85 million, and according to Forbes, a cut of Harrison’s future earnings for the movies he made while they were still married, which included two “Star Wars” films and three “Indiana Jones” movies, plus many more.
- Steven Spielberg’s divorce from Amy Irving cost Spielberg more than $100 million after Irving successfully challenged the prenuptial agreement the couple had signed.
- Neil Diamond’s divorce from his wife of 27 years ended with him paying her an estimated $150 million, or roughly $5.5 million for every year they were married.
- Michael Jordan’s 2007 divorce holds the record at more than $168 million when he divorced his wife Juanita after 18 years of marriage.
The Top Celebrity bankruptcies of the decade include:
- Stan Lee (2001): – Lee’s business partner was accused of securities fraud, and Lee and Stan Lee Media filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.
- Mike Tyson (2003): Tyson, the former heavyweight boxing champion and convicted rapist, blamed lavish spending on cars, mansions and Bengal tigers, plus poor financial advice, for his 2003 bankruptcy.
- Donald Trump (2004, 2009): Trump’s Atlantic City hotel & resort company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection twice this decade in order to reorganize debts related to construction.
- Michael Vick (2008): Vick, once of the highest-paid athletes in the country, filed for bankruptcy from behind bars in 2008 following his conviction for dog fighting and other federal charges that landed him in prison.
- Lenny Dykstra (2009): Dykstra’s magazine, The Players Club, hit some financial roadblocks that led to more than 20 lawsuits. Dykstra filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
Top 10 Most Expensive Celebrity Divorces, accesshollywood.com, December 16, 2009
Top 10 Celebrity Bankruptcies of the Decade, totalbankruptcy.com, December 29, 2009
If you have a question regarding Bankruptcy in San Jose please contact us at 408.279.2288 or visit www.bkanswers.com and we can connect you with one of our experienced San Jose Bankruptcy Attorneys. After you have spoken with one of our San Jose bankruptcy attorneys we can schedule you a free face to face appointment in our office location nearest you. Our team of San Jose Bankruptcy Lawyers can assist you with all aspects of your case. If you are have questions about filing a chapter 7 bankruptcy, a chapter 11 bankruptcy, a chapter 13 bankruptcy, lien stripping, cram down, stopping a foreclosure or wage garnishment, discharging debt, etc. we can help! We have bankruptcy attorneys located throughout California who can assist your financial needs. Please feel free to complete our free bankruptcy evaluation and we can quickly determine if you are a qualified candidate for bankruptcy.