The date for legally determining the identity of the father of former Playboy model and Reality TV star Anna Nicole Smith’s baby has been pushed back. A judge in Los Angeles postponed the deadline for a required paternity test. The reason for the delay is that the physician who has been tasked with collecting the DNA sample does not have the necessary work permit to do so in the Bahamas. A new hearing has been set for February 7.
Smith’s daughter was born in the Bahamas last year on September 7. Her 20-year-old son, Daniel Wayne Smith, died three days later while visiting her at the hospital. Smith’s ex-boyfriend, Larry Birkhead, later filed a paternity claim stating that he was the father of baby Dannielynn Hope Marshall Stern. Smith disagrees with this claim and says that her current boyfriend and attorney Howard K. Stern is the father of Dannielynn.
A man who legally establishes that he is the father of a child has certain legal rights, along with the child’s mother, over that child, as long as the child is under 18 years of age) including:
– Where the child will live.
– Where the child will go to school.
– How to bring up the child.
– What religious faith the child will follow.
– What type of medical care the child will have.
– Their child’s lifestyle.
A child also has certain rights and benefits from having the identity of his or her father legally established, including:
– Medical or life insurance from either parent (if available).
– Legal proof of each parent’s identity.
– Knowing the identity of both parents.
– Family medical history, in case of inherited health problems.
– The father’s name on the birth certificate.
– Financial support from both parents.
If a child’s parents are not married at the time of his or her birth, paternity must be legally established.
With offices conveniently located in Monterey County, Alameda County, and Santa Clara County, Sagaria Law, P.C. can help you with your paternity matter-whether you are someone who wishes to establish your paternity rights or you are the mother that wants to establish your child’s paternity. We also represent clients in child custody, child visitation, and other family law-related matters.
Judge postpones Anna Nicole Smith paternity test, Reuters, January 24, 2007
Related Web Resource:
Parentage, California Courts: Self-Help Center