Pamela Bach, the former Baywatch star and ex-wife of actor David Hasselhoff is asking a California judge to increase her spousal and child support payments. She filed papers in court this month and is asking that her monthly spousal support be increased to $45,463. She also wants her monthly child support payments to be raised to $31,546. The couple have been divorced since July 2006.
In California, a judge calculates spousal support by taking into consideration the following:
· How long the couple has been married or been in a legal domestic partnership.
· The age and health of each spouse.
· How much income each can earn on their own.
· What the expenses of each spouse are.
· Whether there are minor children at home.
· The history of the way the couple handled money during the marriage.
· Debts and property.
· Whether one spouse or domestic partner helped the other get an education, training, career, or professional license.
· Whether there was domestic violence in the marriage or domestic partnership.
· Whether one spouse’s, or domestic partner’s, career was affected by unemployment or by taking care of the children or home.
· The tax impact of spousal support.
Unless parents can agree on the amount of child support, a judge will use the following guidelines to calculate the amount:
· How much money the parents earn or can earn.
· How much other income each parent receives.
· How many children these parents have together.
· How much time each parent spends with their children.
· The actual tax filing status of each parent.
· Support of children from other relationships.
· Health insurance expenses.
· Mandatory union dues.
· Mandatory retirement contributions.
· The cost of sharing daycare and uninsured health-care costs.
· Other factors, such as traveling for parental visitations, educational expenses, etc.
The Law Offices of Scott Sagaria handles family law cases pertaining to divorce, child custody and visitation, child support, and spousal support and alimony in Santa Clara County, Monterey County, and Alameda County. Contact The Law Offices of Scott Sagaria for a free consultation.
Estranged Wife To Hoff: “Up Your Ante,” Tmz.com, October 12, 2006
Hasselhoff’s Ex-Wife Demands More Money, Sfgate.com
Hasselhoff, Bach Divorce Becomes Final, People.com, July 27, 2006
California Courts Self-Help Center: Main Factors Used In Calculating Child Support (PDF)
Child, Spousal, and Partner Support , California Courts Self-Help Center
Related Web Resources:
California Family Code: 4320-4324, divorcesource.com
Bach Spousal Support Filing, October 10, 2006 (PDF)